This is one of my favorite go-to recipes when I need to whip up a yummy side dish for an event or a pot-luck. It’s got a little somethin’-somethin’ that sets it apart from your typical egg salad, and boy is it a game changer!
I’ve always liked egg salad, but I’ve never loved it. Sure, I’d help myself to some at a bridal shower or at a picnic/cookout, but that’s really only sort of occasion I’d ever eat it at. It was never something I thought to prepare at home and eat as an actual meal, and I certainly never craved it. That is, until this happened:
Cream cheese + Bacon
Yes, my friends. Cream cheese and bacon. All up in yo egg salad. AND it’s glorious. Whip these two rock star ingredients up into this egg salad and you’ll be licking the spoon! Think I’m kidding? Try it.
Gone are the days where I viewed egg salad as being just okay. With this flavorful twist on a Southern staple dish, you’ll have people going back for seconds. And you certainly won’t think twice about eating this as a meal in your own home. It’s deee-lish! I personally love to eat it on slider buns, but it also pairs nicely with crackers. Here’s what you’ll need:
(Note: This recipe is doubled to feed a larger crowd. Feel free to reduce the ingredients as you see fit.)
- 1 dozen hard boiled eggs
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tbs butter, softened
- Bacon, cooked and chopped. (Real bacon bits work fine as well)
- 4 Tbs low-fat mayo
- Pickle Relish (to taste)
- 2 tsp sugar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Peel the hard boiled eggs and separate the yolk into a large bowl.
- Blend egg yolks, cream cheese and butter together until smooth.
- Mix in remaining ingredients, making sure the egg whites are blended in last.
- Cover in air-tight container and chill for an hour
- Serve on your choice of bread or crackers and enjoy!
What are your thoughts on egg salad? Have you ever added anything different to a traditional dish to give it a new life? If you try this recipe, I’d love to hear your thoughts!