Last week you saw me whip up a lip-smackin’ good blackberry plum cobbler, and my first bite into those fresh summertime fruits was all I needed to earn my first class ticket on the cobbler crazy train. I’ve been cooking up a storm this past week, and cobblers have definitely been number 1 on the list! This Homemade Apple Cobbler hits all the marks on the comfort food scale, and a scoop of ice cream on top really makes me wish it was summer all year long!
It wasn’t until I shared my recipe for blackberry plum cobbler with you that I realized I didn’t have a single cobbler recipe on the blog. Honestly, I have no idea how that could’ve even happened! It’s certainly not a bonafide southern blog until there’s a cobbler on the menu. Plus, my go-to cobbler crust recipe is worthy of it’s own spotlight on the blog if I do say so myself. The berry filling is good, but that golden brown crust is real good!
Much like homemade apple pie, apple cobbler doesn’t have a season like many other fruit pies. Apple pie is in season ALL year long, and it’s always best when shared with your loved ones.
Here’s a free printable copy of my recipe if you’d like to give it a try!
- For the filling:
- 7 - 9 apples, peeled and diced
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- For the topping:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 stick (8 Tbs) butter, cold and cubed
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- In a mixing bowl, combine apples, brown sugar, vanilla, cornstarch and cinnamon.
- Pour mixture into a 9" or 10" iron skillet.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Add the butter and blend until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream and stir until just blended
- Crumble mixture on top apple mixture
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
I’ve got a few more cobbler recipes up my sleeve to share with y’all, and truth be told, I have a brand new one in the oven as I type this. My official taste testers are itching to dig into it, and I’m itching to make ALL the cobblers before the summer is over!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love these other great recipes found right here on Southern Made Simple!