Few things scream summertime like homemade cobbler filled with fresh from the vine fruit and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This recipe for Blackberry Plum Cobbler is the perfect treat to indulge in during the hot summer months, and the juicy berries and rich bites of plum will make you want to go back for seconds, guaranteed!
It’s not very often that I’m stocked up on plums, and to tell you the truth, I really have no idea why. I had honestly forgotten how much I love them. Quite frankly, I think they’re among the most underrated of all the fruits. Their juicy texture reminds me of a cross between a peach and an apple, and their beautiful purple color is one that only God himself could have created. Simply beautiful!
My daughters and I have been riding around our pasture picking blackberries and dewberries almost every day since they started turning around mid April. Initially we gathered buckets full, and I put up several gallons worth in my deep freezer to utilize all year long. These days we’re only able to get a handful or two here and there, but we’ll take ALL we can get of them! They’re loaded with vitamin C and zinc, and we could all certainly use a little more of that right now!
Prunes on the other hand are rich in many antioxidants and are also loaded with Vitamin C, potassium, fiber and lutein – which helps promote eye health. Since receiving my macular degeneration diagnosis in January of this year, I do my best to make sure my diet is high in lutein, and you certainly don’t have to tell me twice to help myself to a scoop of this scrumptious cobbler! 😉
Here’s a free printable copy of the recipe if you’d like to give it a try!
- For the filling:
- 7-10 small plums, peeled and diced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- For the topping:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 stick (8 Tbs) butter, cold and cubed
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- In a mixing bowl, combine plums, blackberries, brown sugar, vanilla, cornstarch and cinnamon.
- Pour mixture into a 9" or 10" iron skillet.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Add the butter and blend until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream and stir until just blended
- Crumble mixture on top of plum and blackberry mixture
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
A cobbler fresh out of the oven is always made perfect with a scoop of ice cream on top. At least, that’s my personal preference! Cobbler is comfort food at it’s finest, and I love how the flavors of the blackberries and plums blended so perfectly in this recipe. You can also substitute the plums for apples if you’d like. The golden crust on top is my go-to crust for any cobbler, and you’ll likely see quite a few more cobblers to come in the months ahead!
If you liked this recipe, check out these other great recipes found right here on Southern Made Simple!