These Dewberry Crumble Muffins are a scrumptious way to start the morning. Each bite has a perfectly sweet and tart burst of delicious fresh dewberry, and the sugary crumble on top is absolutely irresistible!
Earlier last week you saw me share my recipe for Dewberry Lemonade, and in that post I shared in more detail about what dewberries are and how they differ from blackberries. Truth be told, the difference in the actual fruit is very minimal. The main differences are the types of vines they grow on and when the berries mature.
In the southern states, dewberries are typically ready to pick in April and May, while blackberries are ready to pick in mid May and throughout June. While we’re picking lots of blackberries currently, there are still a few dewberry vines that are producing a rouge dewberry or two, and each morning when my household is still quiet I wander up and down my driveway picking a handful of dewberries for my two girls to share. We were blessed to be able to put up 2 or 3 gallon Ziploc bags worth of of dewberries in our freezer to be able to use in baking all year long. While Dewberry Lemonade is perhaps our favorite thing to make with them, these Dewberry Crumble Muffins come in at a very close second!
When cooking and baking with dewberries, you treat them no differently than you would blackberries. If you don’t have dewberries growing wild in your area, no worries at all! This recipe is easily adaptable to blackberries, and frankly any other berry for that matter!
Here’s a free printable copy of the recipe if you’d like to give it a try:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh dewberries blackberries work great, too!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter cubed
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Thoroughly grease muffin tins or line with muffin liners
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, vegetable oil, vanilla, egg, and milk.
- Gently fold in dewberries.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way full
- For crumble topping:
- Mix together sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon using a hand or stand mixer until a nice crumble forms. Sprinkle on top of muffin batter and bake for 22-24 minutes, or until golden brown.
The crumble topping on these muffins is one I use frequently when making muffins for breakfast. The tartness from the dewberries pairs perfectly with the sweet and crumbly topping, making these muffins absolutely delicious and irresistible! Are you familiar with dewberries? What are some of your favorite ways to enjoy dewberries or blackberries during the summer months? Leave a comment below and share the love!
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out these other great recipes found right here on Southern Made Simple!