These easy lemon bars are the perfect dish to serve during the summer months. The blend of citrus and sweetness makes a dynamite combination that is simply irresistible!
I have to brag on the Alabama weather for just a minute, which is something I rarely ever do. Normally the month of June is a hot muggy mess. The humidity is enough to knock you flat out on the floor most of the time, but the last 2 or 3 days have been surprisingly pleasant. Yesterday we got a special visit from my mother and her husband. My family is taking the pandemic and CDC recommended guidelines very seriously, so we kept our distance during the visit and sat out on the front porch in lawn chairs while my two girls splashed in their inflatable pool.
This was early afternoon, and normally it would have been scorching hot, but there was a constant steady breeze that kept us comfortable the entire time. I couldn’t have even dreamed of more perfect weather if I tried, and all the conditions were right to enjoy a few of my favorite summertime refreshments – namely these Easy Lemon bars, which are a family favorite around here!
The sweetness paired with the citrus-y goodness in the freshly squeezed lemon juice is a perfect combination. Lemon squares are extremely easy to make, and they’re one of my go-to recipes during the summer months to make for parties and get-togethers. I am praying every day that we will be able to congregate with friends and family soon just like we did before. There are so many people I’d love to sit down and share a lemon bar and a glass of dewberry lemonade with!
If you’d like to give this recipe a try, here’s a free printable copy just for you!
Easy Lemon Bars
- 1 cup 2 sticks salted butter, softened - not melted
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- Juice of 3 freshly squeezed lemons about 3/4 cups worth of juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Using a hand or stand mixer, blend together softened butter, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Press dough mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish until evenly spread throughout the pan
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until firm and golden.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup flour.
- Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice.
- Pour over baked crust and bake for an additional 20 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow bars to cool COMPLETELY before cutting.
- Bars will firm up a good bit during the cooling process.
- Once cooled, garnish with powdered sugar and fresh lemon zest
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out these other great recipes found right here on Southern Made Simple!