Remember last week when I was getting a little creative in the kitchen trying to utilize all of the fresh summer squash that’s filling up my garden? (If you don’t remember, I made a lemon poppy seed cake with the squash and it was AH-mazing.) 🙂
Well, here I am once again trying my hardest to find new and creative ways to use up some of this beautiful squash that’s taking over. I feel like the past few summers the only things I could think to use it for was in fritters, casseroles, and just cooked plain with a little EVOO and salt. I mean, those are all super yummy ways to eat yellow squash, but this summer I’m just feeling like I want something a little extra. Know what I mean?
So when I went out to the garden this afternoon to pick all of the squash that was ready, I had a brilliant idea hit me! Why not try my hand at stuffing the squash? After all, I make stuffed peppers ALL the time! Well, upon further inspection of the size of my squash, I decided that cutting them in half and hollowing them out would probably work a little better than truly stuffing them, but it’s all the same really!
As a lover of all things Mexican food, I knew that fiesta-fying these bad boys was a must. Thus, the idea for these Taco-Stuffed Summer Squash Boats was born! De nada, mis amigos. 😉
So I took them inside, cleaned them up and went straight to work. I cut the ends off of the squash and cut each of them in half lengthwise. (See picture below.)
I scooped out all of the seeds from the middle using a spoon and discarded them.
I got a pot of water boiling and placed the squash in it for 1-2 minutes. This was to help the squash get a jump start on cooking all the way through when it’s placed into the oven. Next I started preparing the taco goodness to go on the inside of each squash. Once I put the squash in the oven, I started chopping a fresh tomato and some cilantro to go on top. Supper was ready in just 35 minutes, and and the results were definitely fiesta worthy! (See full recipe below.)
Taco Stuffed Summer Squash Boats
- 6-7 Fresh Yellow Squash - halved lengthwise
- 1 lb ground hamburger meat or ground turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 onion - diced
- 1/2 green pepper - diced
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- Handful of your favorite shredded cheese
- Sour cream and cilantro for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut squash lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard.
- Brown hamburger meat until cooked.
- In a large pot, boil water (no specific amount) and submerge squash halves in boiling water for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove squash and place onto drying rack or paper towels to absorb water.
- Add taco seasoning to meat according to packet instructions.
- Add in chopped onions, green peppers and salsa and allow to simmer for 15 minutes, or until peppers and onions are tender.
- In a large casserole dish, place squash halves hollow side up and fill each with taco mixture.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake covered with foil for 35 minutes.
- Once squash is done cooking, allow to briefly cool and top with sour cream, cilantro, fresh tomatoes or your favorite taco toppings. Enjoy!
What are some other ways that you like to cook summer squash? Do you have a favorite Mexican inspired dish that uses unusual ingredients? Leave a comment below and let’s swap ideas!