These Peach Crumble Ice Cream Bars are a delicious summer treat, perfect for your next outdoor summer party!
I’m not sure if it’s the pregnancy making me act this way, but I’ve been on a serious hunt for the the perfect plump and juicy peach to sink my teeth into. I am so stinkin’ ready for the local farmer’s markets to open their doors and roll out the peaches, and you can bet this mama will be first one in line for them! While I was flipping through the June 2018 issue of Better Homes and Gardens Magazine, I thumbed my way back to the recipes first thing (per usual) and fell in love at first sight with a recipe they featured for these Summer Fruit Crisp Ice Cream Bars. I immediately ripped the recipe out of the magazine and secured it next to my grocery list so I could be sure to pick up the ingredients the next time I was at the store. While this recipe can be made using fresh strawberries, the peach bars were really speaking to me.
Much to my dismay, my supermarket was COMPLETELY sold out of peaches. Like…not a single peach in sight, y’all. My pregnancy hormones almost made me lose it right there in the produce section, but I held it together and picked up a can of diced peaches so I could still make these delicious ice cream bars. Canned is never as good when you’re really craving fresh, but it’ll due in a pinch! While I’m still holding out for that perfect peach, I’m still digging into these yummy ice cream bars, and the peachy flavor is crazy tasty!
I made a few of my own substitutions to BHG’s original recipe to make it fit my own personal tastes a little more, and I am delighted with how it turned out! Here’s a free copy of the recipe I made if you’d like to give it a try!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup quick oats
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 4oz packet milled flax seed (optional)
- 1 cup unsalted butter - cut into squares
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ gallon peach ice cream (not frozen yogurt)
- 2 cups freshly chopped peaches, or 1 large can diced peaches
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- In a blender, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, flax seeds, pecans and butter and blend until crumbly - careful not to over process!
- Pour mixture into a 9X13 pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Use a mixing spoon to stir the mixture until a nice crumble forms.
- Remove half of the crumbs and set aside. Pat the remaining crumbs firmly into the bottom of the baking pan to form the bottom layer of crust and set aside until cool.
- In a large bowl, combine peach ice cream and fresh peaches and stir
- Pour ice cream mixture into completely cooled baking pan on top of crust.
- Pour remaining crumble on top of ice cream and cover with foil
- Place in freezer for at least 6 hours, or overnight if time permits.
- Allow to sit out for 5 or so minutes before cutting and serving
If you like this peachy recipe, check out these other peach recipes found right here on Southern Made Simple!
Are you all about the peaches this summer like I am? Do you have another peachy recipe you’d like to share? I’m always on the prowl for some peachy goodness, so please share the love!