These Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats so hauntingly good, you’ll snap, crackle and pop for more!
A few weeks ago I shared a recipe for White Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats, and ever since then I’ve had this slight obsession with finding more ways to capture those flavors and textures in other treats. Peanut butter and chocolate go together better than just about anything in this world, and adding in the light crispy and crunchy flakes from rice cereal creates this irresistible concoction that good right down to the bone.
These aren’t your typical back-of-the-box rice krispie treats, but don’t let that frighten you away from making them! You can certainly make these with original rice cereal, but I reached for the cocoa krispies to make these chocolaty treats instead. You’ll also need half of a package of chocolate almond bark, a cup of peanut butter, a cup of Reese’s Pieces and miniature marshmallows.
Using a double boiler (I called it my cauldron when making Halloween treats) 😉 melt down 1/2 of a package of chocolate almond bark. Add in the cup of peanut butter and stir until it’s perfectly creamy and smooth. Add in cereal, marshmallows and candy in a large bowl. Pour the melted chocolate over the cereal and stir until everything is well coated.
Pour into a well greased brownie pan or 8×8 casserole dish. Pro tip: Spray your hand or the back of a spoon with nonstick cooking spray so you can press the mixture down evenly into the pan without making a total mess.
Here’s a free printable copy of the recipe if you’d like to give it a try!
Double Chocolate & Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 1/2 cups coco rice krispies cereal
- 1 lb chocolate almond bark (most packages of almond bark contain 2 lbs, so just break 1 package in half)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup Reese's pieces
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate almond bark and stir continuously until smooth
- Add in peanut butter and stir until well combined
- In a large bowl, combine cereal, marshmallows and Reese's Pieces
- Pour melted chocolate and peanut butter over cereal mixture and stir until well combined
- Spray a brownie pan or 8X8 baking dish thoroughly with nonstick cooking spray
- Pour mixture into pan and press into all corners using your hand or a well greased spoon to make sure mixture spreads as evenly as possible
- While mixture is still wet, add a few more candy pieces and cereal for garnish if desired
- Allow to sit on counter until mixture firms up enough to cut - at least 2 hours
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Also, if you’re looking for a fool-proof way to get perfect and evenly cut bars, use a brownie pan like this one! I own this same one, and it’s a workhorse in my kitchen.
Once the treats have dried and set, just slice and serve! These Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats go great with a tall glass of milk, and they’re perfect to serve for Halloween or fall celebrations!
Looking for more hauntingly fun Halloween treats? I’ve got it all right here on Southern Made Simple!
The Ultimate Halloween Charcuterie Board | Sweet & Salty Halloween Cookies | Haunted Halloween Pancakes | Halloween Deep Dish Skillet Cookie | Mummy Treats | Halloween Sugar Wafers | Freaky Frankenstein Oreo Pops