Looking for something sweet to brighten up your day? These Chocolate Mint Brownies are the perfect thing to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Whew, what a week the world has had. Knowing we’re all currently getting our fill of the negative things happening across the globe, I’m trying my hardest to cling to things that are good. Keeping my mind occupied and busy on the things I enjoy most has helped me cope with this weird seismic shift, and having a little chocolate in my system certainly helps me keep my mood more positive.
My life needed something sweet, and these Chocolate Mint Brownies that my sister once made had been on the brain for quite some time.
My sister first shared this recipe on her blog several years ago. I was lucky enough to be a recipient of a few squares she tucked away in the freezer, and let me tell you – my life hasn’t been the same since I ate one. Is that dramatic? Maybe, but it’s not wrong! That first bite of brownie that I took did something to me. I remember the richness of the mint cutting through, the slight crack of the top chocolate layer crumbling under my teeth, and the smooth and decadent brownie holding it all together. It made a mark on me, folks, and when I think about the perfect combination of chocolate and mint, my mind will always gravitate straight towards these brownies. They’re darn good, and the world could sure use a lot of goodness right now!
- 1 box brownie mix - made according to package instructions
- For filling:
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 6 Tbs butter, softened
- 6 Tbs heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¾ tsp mint extract
- 4 drops green food coloring
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup butter
- Bake brownies according to package instructions. Allow to cool completely
- In a large bowl. beat filling ingredients together until smooth.
- Spread filling over cooled brownies and refrigerate until set - about 2 hours.
- In a medium saucepan, heat topping ingredients over low-medium heat until melted - stirring constantly. Cool for about 10 minutes.
- Pour topping over filling and spread to cover.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until completely set
- Allow brownies to sit out for about 10 minutes before cutting
If you’re able to place grocery pickup orders to prevent you from having to go inside a physical store – please try to do that. And, if available, make sure you pick up a few extra baking ingredients if baking is a way to help keep your mind occupied and your physical body parked at home. As much as we all may want to fight the notion that we need to quarantine ourselves, and as much as we want to fight how truly disruptive that is in our daily lives, I believe things will get better faster if we all do our part and stay home to avoid unknowingly spreading this virus.
And trust me, your time at home will be much sweeter with one of these Mint Chocolate Brownies and a tall glass of milk! 😉
Looking for more fun things to bake? You’ll love these recipes found right here on Southern Made Simple!