If you’re anything like me, you may have a hard time incorporating certain greens into your diet. I like most veggies, but I don’t just love them. It’s something I should really try to change about my tastes and my lifestyle, because vegetables are good for you! I just have a hard time straying from the norm. You know, peas, green beans, corn, and…yeah. That’s about it when it comes to actually making it to a dinner plate in this house. The only time I would ever eat spinach on purpose is on my Subway sandwich when it’s hidden amongst the lettuce and tomatoes. It’s like I said, I don’t dislike veggies, I just don’t really know to incorporate them into foods that I definitely love.
I tried hiding spinach in my smoothies for a little while. It lasted about a week. I could tolerate it in my smoothie, but I soon found out I was pregnant and then quickly found the smoothies to be absolutely repulsive. That’s pregnancy for ya! Now that I’m no longer pregnant, I still just can’t bring myself to drink them. However, I’ve now found a new way to incorporate spinach into my diet. Now, I’m not saying that dish is healthy at all. In a perfect world, it would be fat free...just like every other food would be, but let’s just celebrate one small victory at a time here. I’m eating lots of spinach these days, and it’s in the form of a hot, savory and cheesy bowl of deliciousness. Say hello to your new favorite dip recipe: Cheesy Bacon & French Onion Spinach Dip.
BOOM! You’re welcome. 😉
Forget what you think you know about spinach dip. Before I first made this dip, I thought of spinach dip as that super bland dip you can buy in the chip aisle next to that less than stellar cheese in a jar stuff. It’s typically served room temp and it’s pretty lackluster next to other dishes in a spread. This dip is anti that, y’all. But what about those regular hot spinach dips that are pretty good and not from a can? Forget ’em. They’re likely missing that special oomph. They’re probably missing that extra somethin’ somethin’ that you really want in a dip. You know, that va va voom! But not this dip, y’all. This one is in a league of it’s own.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this out-of-this-world cheesy bacon & french onion spinach dip recipe:
- 2 cups spinach, chopped (I use these herb scissors to get the job done. They make my life SO much easier!)
- 1 8oz package reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 package onion dip mix – do not use whole package
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbs low fat mayonnaise
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese – shredded
- 1 cup pepperjack cheese – shredded
- 2 tbs parsley flakes
- 6-8 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- Cook bacon according to package instructions. Dry off excess grease and dice. (You can use your herb scissors for this if you have some!)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease small baking dish or glass casserole dish
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream and 1/2 package onion dip mix. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well blended.
- Pour spinach mixture into baking dish and top with additional cheese and bacon if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes – serve while hot
It’s really easy to prepare this dish ahead of time and then put into the oven when ready. Just combine all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to bake. That’s my kind of dish! My church frequently has finger food events, so I’m thinking I just might start bringing this one and sharing it with my church family. I know it’ll be a hit, and definitely better than that bland stuff in a jar! 😉