Do you have a really good, classic, no-fail and dependable chocolate chip cookie recipe that you love to reach for when a cookie craving comes along? If not, allow me to introduce you to the new love in your life. Seriously. These Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies are lightly crispy on the outside, perfectly soft and chewy on the inside and have an irresistible buttery and brown sugar flavor with the perfect chocolate chip-to-cookie ratio. I may be tooting my own horn a little bit here, but I’d say these chocolate chip cookies are pretty darn close to perfect.
Chocolate chip cookies are the most googled cookie recipe of all time, and that holds especially true during the holidays. Many folks are grasping at things that bring them comfort and joy during this time of year, and that means savoring classic recipes that they know are good. And honestly, I think chocolate chip cookies would even bring the Grinch himself a little bit of joy and happiness. I’ve never seen a grumpy person with a stack of cookies and a glass of milk in their hands. 😉
The base of this recipe may look a little familiar to you, as it’s the same dough that I use in my Soft & Chewy White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies that I shared just a few weeks ago. It’s my go-to cookie dough for just about any cookie, especially ones that I really want to have that soft-batch bakery feel.
Here’s a free printable copy of my recipe if you’d like to give it a try!
Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup salted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbs vanilla flavoring
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl using a hand or stand mixer, combine butter, white sugar and brown sugar
- Add in vanilla and egg and mix until incorporated
- Slowly add in flour, baking soda and corn starch and mix until soft, thick dough forms
- Add in chocolate chips and stir until just combined
- Refrigerate 1 hour or longer (Don't skip this step!)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or use a non-stick silicone baking mat
- Once dough is thoroughly chilled, roll or scoop into 1 1/2-2 inch balls and place an inch or more apart
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. *Cookies will appear undercooked when first removed from the oven. Do not cook any longer - the cookies will continue to set while left to cool on the cookie sheet.
- Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
By the way, here’s a few of my must-haves in the kitchen when it comes to baking cookies. There’s still time to let Santa know about these items if you’re adding them to your wish list!
When these cookies first come out of the oven, they’re going to look a little undercooked. That’s exactly what you want them to look like. I promise. They’ll continue to cook a little while they’re cooling on the cookie sheet, and the texture will be everything you’ve ever wanted a cookie to be. You’ll definitely be going back for seconds and thirds. And then you’ll go back for another one to dunk into your coffee the next morning. I’m just speaking from experience here. 😉
If you like this recipe for Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, be sure to check out these other great recipes found right here on Southern Made Simple!
What types of cookies will you be baking during this holiday season? Do you like to try new-to-you recipes, or do you prefer to stick to the classics? Leave a comment below and tell me about your favorite kinds of cookies. I always love to hear what’s cooking in your kitchen!