Love is in the air, and Cupid’s arrow hit me right in the heart when this batch of Chocolate Covered Cherry cookies came out of my oven. Chocolate covered cherries are one of my favorite treats to indulge in between Christmas and Valentine’s Day, and biting into one and tasting that sweet cherry filling gives me heart eyes bigger than a cartoon character in love!
Knowing that love is best when it’s shared, I often make a large batch of these cookies for Valentine’s Day every year to share with friends and family. They’re a simple little treat with a rich, brownie-like texture that is oozing in the middle with that old familiar sweet cherry goodness, and they’re the perfect gift to package up with a ribbon and give to those you love!
These cookies bake in the oven for only 12 minutes, and once they’re done, you simply press a chocolate covered cherry into the center and allow to cool. Pipe a smidge of white chocolate over each cookie and enjoy! The hardest part about making these cookies is not devouring a handful of them while you’re waiting on them to cool. The warm chocolaty texture and the slightly melted center of the chocolate covered cherry is a special kind of love that always reels me in every time I make a batch!
To make these cookies extra festive for the Valentine’s Day season, you can opt to use a pink or red colored melting chocolate to drizzle over top. You can typically find colored melting chocolates in the specialty baking aisle at your local grocery store. Chocolate covered cherries are a very inexpensive confection, and their price point is way better than those heart-shaped boxes of candy that are flooding the shelves this time of year. These cookies are an inexpensive treat to make, but they certainly bring a bigger smile to my face than those overpriced boxes of chocolate with mystery fillings do!
Wrapping up a dozen of these cookies with a little love note on the side would make the heart of anyone flutter, and I can’t think of anything I’d rather do on Valentine’s Day than curl up with a chocolate covered cherry cookie and a tall glass of milk!
Want to give these cookies a try? Here’s the recipe! Warning: prepare to fall head over heels!
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 packages chocolate covered cherries
- White chocolate baking bars to drizzle
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy
- Add in egg and beat until blended
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda
- Beat in the flour mixture until blended and chill dough covered for at least 1 hour. Dough will be very thick!
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Roll dough into ping-pong sized balls using your hands, and lightly press them into a thick patty shape
- Place about an inch apart on cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes
- Remove from oven and immediately press chocolate covered cherries into center, being careful to keep cookie shape intact
- Allow to cool briefly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool
- Once cookies are cooled completely melt white chocolate in a bowl and spoon into a Ziploc bag. Snip the end off a corner and drizzle onto cookies
These cookies are also perfect for children to help make, as the dough is very thick and is fun to roll out into balls with your hands. My daughter loved rolling the dough and pressing the chocolate covered cherries into the center when they came out of the oven. Once you pipe the chocolate drizzle over top, consider adding a few red or pink sugar sprinkles on top while the chocolate is still wet to give these cookies an extra dose of pizzazz!
Valentine’s Day treats are always sweetest when they’re shared with the people you love, and baking instead of buying pre-made treats adds a much more personal touch to the day that makes it even more special. Skip the dozen roses and wrap up a dozen of these chocolate covered cherry cookies instead. The recipient will fall in love with the very first bite, guaranteed!