I am so cold, y’all. I don’t know what’s going on with me here lately. I’ve always been a hot-natured person. I live in a part of the county where it’s hot and humid the majority of the time, and “winter” isn’t really that big of a deal. I’ve seen snow just a handful of times in my life, and I rarely need anything more than a jacket when I head out of the door. But for some reason, I just can’t seem to get warm this season. Bring on the fuzzy socks and hot chocolate, cuz this mama needs to warm up!
So as I awoke from my glorious slumber in my perfectly warm bed one morning last week, I immediately walked straight into my kitchen and started making myself some hot chocolate. While I was shivering and waiting for the water to heat up, I felt a rumble in my tummy that told me I needed to feed myself within the next .3 seconds or else my “morning grumpies” were going to show their ugly face. (Does that ever happen to you? I can go from hungry to starving in record time.) I file that one in my “useless talents” section! 😉
So as I’m stirring my hot chocolate, a brilliant idea struck: What if I could turn this hot chocolate into a delicious, chewy, marshmallow-y cookie?! You know what they say, y’all. Bakers gonna bake! And that’s exactly what I did. 🙂
These cookies are really simple to make, but the instructions are a smidge unusual. If you decide to give these cookies a try, make sure you follow the instructions closely! Once you make the dough and chill it for an hour or so, spoon a small amount into your palms and roll it into a ball. Using your thumb, form a small “nest” in the dough and place the marshmallows down into the hole. Taking another small piece of dough, flatten it out in the palm of your hands and lay it over the marshmallows and press it down to flatten a little before baking.
Hot Chocolate & Marshmallow Cookies
- 1 stick salted butter - room temp
- 1/2 cup brown sugar - packed
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 packets hot chocolate mix
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet morsels
- 1 cup mini marshmallows - frozen
- Using a stand mixer, cream butter, sugars and vanilla together.
- Add in egg and combine
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, corn starch, baking powder, salt and hot chocolate
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients
- Note: Dough will be very thick. You may need to finish combining the ingredients by hand if your mixer cannot handle the thickness of the dough
- Add in chocolate chips and combine
- Chill the dough for a full hour
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Scoop a small amount of dough into your hands and roll into a ball. Create a "nest" in the center of each ball of dough and place on a greased cookie sheet
- Add a few marshmallows into each nest
- Flatten a small piece of dough with your hands big enough to cover the nest, and gently press each cookie down to flatten it a little
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown
- Note: The cookies will still look very soft when you take them out of the oven. That's normal - they will continue to cook as they are cooling
- Serve with a glass of hot chocolate and enjoy!
- Yields 1 dozen
Tried this recipe?
Tag me on Instagram: @SouthernMadeSimple or use the hashtag #SouthernMadeSimple and share your love of southern cuisine!
The cookies aren’t exactly gorgeous by any means, but boy howdy are they delicious. I’ve made a ton of cookies in my day, and these probably rank in my top 5 favorite. They’ve soft, chewy, moist and SO delicious! They’re the perfect treat to curl up with a cup of hot chocolate with!
What are you doing to stay warm during these cold months? Are you a fan of hot chocolate like me? Do you have a cookie recipe that you swear by? If so, please share the love! I’m always looking for a good cookie recipe! And speaking of cookie recipes, if you haven’t stopped by the Virtual Cookie Swap over at Altamonte Family, you NEED to check it out! There’s over 70 cookie recipes that I’m just itching to try, and you’ll even see some of my own featured there, too!
[…] Hot Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies – by Southern Made Simple […]