I love Valentine’s Day. I typically don’t get too caught up in it, but any day that you get to celebrate love is a great day to me! My husband and I have a mutual understanding that we’re not going to buy each other gifts to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Our love languages aren’t stimulated by receiving plush stuffed animals, overpriced cards or heart shaped boxes of candy. We’d truthfully rather celebrate by digging into a delicious home cooked meal together, and dig in we do!
One way that I love to show love to my husband is by making a nice, warm breakfast for him. During the work week he always scarfs down something on the fly (oatmeal pies to the rescue!) but every once in a while it’s nice to get him to relax for a minute and eat something special.
This year, I’m treating him (and myself) to a tall stack of these love-filled cherry stuffed pancakes covered with a smooth chocolate ganache sauce. Mmmm mmmm!
I try not to buy a ton of candy during Valentine’s Day, but I always fall victim to the boxes of chocolate covered cherries. They seem to find their way into my cart every single year! Since they’re one of my favorite Valentine candies, I decided to let my imagination run a little wild and create something new. After a little tinkering in the kitchen, these Chocolate Covered Cherry Pancakes were born (and quickly devoured!) 😉
I simply started out with a little of my go-to pancake mix to make things super easy. You can use whatever kind of pancake mix you like for this recipe! Just prepare it according to the typical instructions, and add in some maraschino cherry juice to give it a little color and extra flavor. I chopped up several cherries into fourths and incorporated them into the batter. I cooked each pancake on a skillet until they were cooked to perfection, then stacked them tall on a plate where they waited to be smothered and covered with the chocolate ganache.
- 1 cup pancake mix (your favorite brand is fine)
- 1 jar maraschino cherries + 2 Tbs juice
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 large handfuls of semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- Red food coloring (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare the pancake mix according to instructions (you can even use your own recipe!)
- Remove 10-15 maraschino cherries from the jar and slice each one into fourth. Add them into the batter
- Pour 2 Tbs of maraschino cherry juice into batter
- Pour in a few drops of red food coloring and stir until batter is desired color
- Pour a small amount of pancake batter onto a greased skillet on a heated stove (medium heat) and cook each pancake on one side until you see small bubbles form in the batter
- Flip the pancake over and cook on other side for a few seconds until done
- In a small sauce pan, bring ¾ cup heavy whipping cream to a boil
- Remove from heat and stir in a handful or two of the semi-sweet chocolate morsels and stir until slightly thick
- Pour over cherry pancakes while still warm
- Serve with additional maraschino cherries if desired
Making a chocolate ganache is super easy. Just add a little heavy whipping cream into a sauce pan and bring it to a quick boil. Remove it from heat and add in some semi-sweet chocolate morsels and stir until saucy. Drizzle it over your pancakes and dig in!
They say that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, but I say that’s totally true for me, too. Diving into sweet treats on Valentine’s Day with my forever love is the only way I’d want to spend my day!
Do you have any special Valentine’s Day recipes that you like to prepare for your family? Do you like to serve a special recipe as part of a breakfast in bed? Maybe you have a favorite Valentine’s Day candy that you love to indulge in? Leave a comment and share the love! 😉