Affiliate links may be included throughout this post at absolutely no cost to you. I love sharing VBS craft ideas and supplies to help your VBS go as smoothly as possible! Submerged VBS Craft Ideas
School is officially out for the summer here, and many of our local churches are gearing up for Vacation Bible School! I have such vivid memories from my childhood of attending VBS at the church I grew up at. The people at my church always made a big to-do out of the decorations, skits, crafts, etc. I can even remember a few different jingles from the various VBS’s I attended!
It’s funny that I can remember things like that, but I am certain that I couldn’t even tell you what I ate for breakfast this morning. That’s just the way it is, I suppose! But on that same note, I get excited with all of the different ways VBS touches the lives of children and adults in our communities. I mean, if I can remember the things that I did when I was 9 at Vacation Bible School, who’s to say that others wouldn’t remember it for years to come, too? Did you know that every year, VBS is hosted by over 25,000 churches and reaches more than 3 million people across the US? That’s something to really get excited about, y’all!
This year, the Lifeway VBS theme is called “Submerged.” It’s all about submerging yourself in God’s word and discovering that Jesus doesn’t just see what’s on the outside of people, he sees deep down on the inside.
While all churches are open to doing their own theme, Lifeway’s theme is usually the most commonly used. Almost every single Baptist church in our association is using this theme this year, so I know we’ll all definitely be making a big splash and diving in to God’s Word with all of the fun lesson plans, crafts and activities ahead.
This year I’ll be helping with crafts at my church, so naturally I’ve jumped right on to Pinterest to see what other folks are putting together for their “Submerged” crafts and decor. I love what I’ve found! I figured I’d put together a few of my favorites and share them with all of you. If you click on the link or on each picture, it’ll take you directly to the craft’s home page where you can find more photos and step-by-step instructions on how to complete the crafts.
Who’s ready to get started?! Let’s get our craft on! 😉
Easy Googly-Eyed Octopus
- I love these fun little Octopus crafts from Minieco.co! They’re easy to recreate for all ages and are customizable! I think I even saw a free printable template on their website. You could also make these with toilet paper rolls!
Paper Plate & Cupcake Liner Fish
- Talk about adorable! This little fishy belongs to EasyPeasyandFun.com. Check out their website for more simple and creative crafts for kids!
Under the Sea Paper Plate Aquarium
- Kids will have fun picking out the perfect seashells to adorn their “aquariums” with! I found this over at The Imagination Tree. You’ll find a ton of really creative and fun craft ideas on their website!
Jellyfish Streamer Craft
- This one is probaly my favorite! I really love this cute little jelly fish streamer craft from Student Savvy! Kids can hang it in their rooms when VBS is over and use is as a reminder of all the things they learned and all of the fun memories they created!
Submarine Plastic Eggs
- This is a really cute and frugal craft idea for VBS. Kids would probably have time to make 2-3 of these to take home with them, depending on how long the craft rotation is. I found this fun little submarine project on Adventures of Adam!
Styrofoam Light House
- Aren’t these just lovely?! These may be a little too complicated for the younger kids to complete, but there are several different ways you can recreate this craft. You can learn more about it at Crafts by Courtney!
Celery Stamp Fish Art
- This craft is perfect for the younger kiddos! You can use whatever colors you’d like. Don’t forget to snag the free fish template for this over at Crafty Morning!
Sand Clay Hand Print Craft
- I definitely remember doing a craft very similar to this when I was a kid. Is it even VBS if you don’t dip your hand into paint, sand, cement, or something of that nature during craft time?? This is another fantastic art project brought to you by The Imagination Tree!
Mason Jar Aquarium
- These little DIY aquariums are just too cute for words! You can read more about them at Hello, Wonderful.
- Jellyfish Sun Catcher
- Suncatchers are such a fun thing to make in my opinion. No matter how good or bad you may be at crafts, sun catchers always turn out good in my opinion. You can read more about this idea at I heart Arts n Crafts!
Paper Bowl Crab Hat
- I mean, what kid wouldn’t want to wear a crab with clothes pin claws on their head?! I love it! This project was featured on Parents.com, plus several other really cute craft ideas that are easy to recreate!
Hand print Fish on a Stick
- This one definitely ranks in my top 3 faves on this list. It’s so easy to use, and every single fish will be unique! Blitsy.com has this craft tutorial featured here.
- You’ll have to break out the paint and smocks for this one, but seeing those cute little googly eyes and tenticles make it worth it! You can find a full tutorial over at CraftyMorning.com!
Popsicle Stick Fish
- So many memories of using popsicle sticks during my VBS days are flooding my memories right now! This is another one that all ages can do. You can find this craft + tons more over at AllFreeKidsCrafts.com!
Paper Cup Whale
- This is definitely a 10 on the cuteness meter! SpeedyCreativa has more photos and a full tutorial for you to draw a little inspiration from!
Here’s another fun craft project to add to your craft set! My simple DIY Ocean Seek and Find bottle is great for little ones! You can find it here!
If you’re looking for something a little more “quick and easy,” Oriental Trading has a few great craft kit options that have all of the supplies and instructions pre-packaged for you! They’re ideal for younger VBS kids, and they’re easy for instructors because all items are already gathered together in the kit! Here’s a few of my favorites available right now:
3D Submarine Craft Kit (Makes 12) $8.99
Hand Print Fish Puppet Craft (Makes 12) $7.99
Tropical Shell Craft Kit (Makes 12) – Oriental Trading
Crab Headband Craft Kit (Makes 12) -Oriental Trading
Color Your Own Fuzzy Fish Magnets (Makes 12) – Oriental Trading
Whale Flower Pot Craft Kit (Makes 12) – Oriental Trading
Tropical Fish Mobile Craft Kit (Makes 12) – Oriental Trading
Under The Sea Coral Craft Kit (Makes 12) – Oriental Trading
Sea Life Weaving Mats (Makes 12) – Oriental Trading
Under the Sea Jewel Mosaic Craft Kit (Makes 12) – Oriental Trading
Glitter Fish Mosaic Craft (Makes 12) – Oriental Trading
Ocean Creatures Sun Catcher Craft Kit (Makes 12) – Amazon
Kids Under The Sea Craft Kit – Amazon
Wooden Fish Cut Outs (Paint Your Own) 12 pack – Amazon
Magic Color Scratch Fish 24 count – Amazon
Dolphin Sand Art Necklaces 12 pack – Amazon
500 Piece Sea Creature Foam Stickers – Amazon
Don’t these fun “under the sea” crafts have you pumped up for VBS?! They definitely get me excited! What are some other great ideas you’ve seen for the “Submerged” VBS theme this year? Drop a comment below and let’s chat!
VBS Craft Ideas – Submerged Sea Theme
I love your blog!! All of these craft ideas are so creative and adorable!! Also something parents will keep. 🙂
Laura Tucker says
Hi Bridget! I’m so happy to hear that you love all of these craft ideas. I had a ton of fun putting it all together!