Since we put up our Christmas tree and decorations last week, we’ve been spending a lot of family time watching kid friendly Christmas movies almost every night. We turn all of the lights in the house off except for the tree, lighted garland and a few flameless candles, and my two girls have been absolutely mesmerized over the new ambiance that the Christmas lights bring. Even though our girls are very young and their attention span can’t last the length of the movie, we still enjoy the time we spend together. I’ve also enjoyed making a special treat for us to munch on while we all curl up together and watch. Popcorn is always a must when watching movies, and I love to zhoosh it up a bit and make it feel a little more Christmas-y. This White Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn is the perfect blend of sweet and salty, and has been the perfect movie snack for us all to enjoy while watching the big screen!
When I was in college, I worked at the local movie theater for about 2 1/2 years to help pay for my wedding. During that time I sort of had a love-hate relationship with popcorn. Sure, freshly buttered popcorn smells absolutely amazing, but for the entirety of those 2 1/2 years I smelled like popcorn too. My clothes, car, even my bedroom smelled like popcorn. I had to nearly crawl inside the giant popper each night to disassemble and clean the machine, and you would be amazed at how quickly that “extra butter” can get all over everything.
So all that is to say, I never really popped popcorn very much after I left my job there. Popcorn was my supper many a night when I was working late, and I always felt that I had had my fill of it. But every now and then I circle back around to it, and adding fun toppings like melted white chocolate and crushed peppermint candies makes this snack irresistible!
If you find yourself curling up on the couch this season to enjoy your favorite Christmas movies, here’s a few of my favorite things to cozy up with on movie night!
And if you want to spruce up your popcorn and make it feel a little more festive, here’s a free printable copy of the recipe for you to try!
- 2 bags buttered popcorn popped
- 1 8oz bag Wilton White Chocolate Melts
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp fine red sugar sprinkles (feel free to add more or less!)
- 10-12 peppermints crushed
- Pop popcorn according to package instructions, set aside
- In a microwave safe bowl, pour in chocolate melts and microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring in between until completely melted
- While chocolate is melting in microwave, carefully crush peppermints
- Pour popcorn into a large mixing bowl and pour melted chocolate, crushed peppermints and sprinkles and stir until well coated
- Pour popcorn onto a baking sheet and spread out to dry
- After about 15-20 minutes, the chocolate should be dry and the popcorn is ready to eat. Enjoy!
Are you enjoying watching holiday movies this Christmas season? What are some of your favorite movies and snacks to enjoy? I’m always looking for a good recommendation! Leave a comment below and share the love!