With the 2016 Olympic Games quickly approaching, excitement has started to fill the air as American athletes are putting a lifetime of hard work into the qualifying rounds to see who will take a coveted USA team spot and represent our great country in the Olympics in Brazil. I get chills just typing that, y’all!
The Olympics are truly something big and monumental to celebrate, not just something taking a time spot on your favorite TV channel. I hope to encourage you to start a discussion with your children about the Olympics and get excited about the games coming up in just a few short days. I’ve put together a list of 4 Ways to Celebrate the Olympics with Kids, plus I’ve included 3 FREE coloring sheets for you to help get kids interested and inspired about the events!
Make Olympic Inspired Snacks
- To get your kiddos excited about the Olympic games, whip up a few easy and fun Olympic-inspired treats to munch on while the games are on! I’ve been pinning ideas like crazy over on my Olympics Pinterest Board. Take a look and get your chef hat ready, because you’ll want to make them all! 😉
Create an Outdoor Olympian Obstacle Course
- What better way to celebrate the Olympics than to get active and play! Create a fun and challenging obstacle course related to your kid’s favorite sports, or bring the fun indoors and get creative! Relay races, laps in the pool, beach towel volleyball, noodle toss, etc. are just a few ideas that come to mind. You can even host a mock opening ceremony with music, dancing and singing. The possibilities are endless!
Get Your Color On!
- I’ve got 3 simple and fun coloring sheets that you can print for FREE! These are perfect to help children get excited about the upcoming Olympic games, to help keep little ones occupied while watching them on TV with the family, or just to color whenever/wherever! (If you decide to print them, would you kindly consider subscribing to my email updates? I work hard to create my content, so your support is incredibly valuable to me!)
- Free Olympic Medals Printable Coloring Sheet
- Free Olympic Rings Printable Coloring Sheet
- Free Olympic Laurel Wreath and Torch Printable Coloring Sheet
Learn the History
- I remember learning all about the Olympics when I was a child in school. Did you know that the history of the games dates back to over 2,700 years ago?! I’ve found this website to be an amazing resource for kids to learn more about the Olympics and how they got to be where they are today. Encourage your children to learn more about this amazing historical event. Who knows, you may be raising your own future little Olympian!
What are some other fun and creative idea to encourage children to get excited about the Olympic Games? Will you be watching the games with your family? What is your favorite sport to watch? Leave a comment below and let’s chat!