This post is written by me on behalf of Tyson Foods, Inc.. All opinions are entirely my own.
I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve been going a little bit crazy over the past few weeks. My mind has been on overdrive as my family and I have been putting the final touches on our brand new home that we’ve been building for the past year. I’ve been packing up all of our belongings and trying to embrace the chaos that is my current living situation for quite some time now. All of my family will be coming over to have Thanksgiving dinner in our new home, and I’m not so sure that we’ll even be in the house by then!
And on top of all of that craziness, I’m pretty sure I’ve had the same Christmas carol stuck in my head for the last 3 weeks (If that doesn’t drive you crazy, I don’t know what will!) I’ve been decking the halls in my mind over and over until my jingle is all jangled out….and it’s not even December yet!
But deep down in my heart, I’m actually okay with the fact that the same ol’ holiday tune has been stuck on repeat in my head. It serves as a perfect little reminder of my favorite time of the year and all of the joys that come with it. Even though we’re currently in the middle of a huge transition in our lives, I can’t help but get downright giddy at the thought of my home being completely filled with the people that I love for the holidays!
Since I know I’ll have a house full of guests during this holiday season, I’ve been busy putting together a list of dishes that I know my family will love to eat while they’re in my home. It seems like during this time of year, the traditional holiday menu items such as turkey, dressing, casseroles and all the trimmings grab everyone’s attention first, but I’m a breakfast girl through and through, and I can’t stop daydreaming about sharing a hot, delicious breakfast with my family early in the morning before all of the holiday festivities begin!
To treat my family to something really special during this time of year, I reach for Jimmy Dean® Refrigerated Breakfast Sausage over other options in the supermarket. It’s made with the perfect signature blend of seasonings that make every meal exciting!
Jimmy Dean® Refrigerated Breakfast Sausage isn’t just for breakfast, either. It’s perfect for all cooking occasions all holiday season long! There’s lots of ways to prepare it with multiple meals, which means you’ll have multiple times to bring a little joy to all who get to take a bite! 😉
During my most recent trip to Publix, I stocked up on a few rolls of Jimmy Dean® Refrigerated Premium Pork Sausage to keep on hand during the busy holiday season. I also picked up all of the ingredients needed to make a hearty breakfast for my family – and my Mini Ultimate Breakfast Trifles were definitely on the brain!
I’ve been on a huge trifle kick here lately. I love the idea of presenting all of my favorite foods and flavors in a unique way, and who could say no to layers of creamy cheese grits, sizzling sausage, scrambled eggs, gooey cheese and a slice of candied bacon! Others may try to say their dish is the “breakfast of champions,” but there’s no denying that this dish is the real MVP!
I especially love to serve this dish during holiday gatherings because the mini jelly jars are easy to grab and go, and they’re particularly adorable lined up on a holiday serving tray! You can even do a “deconstructed” version of these and let people build their own trifle with their favorite ingredients. The possibilities are endless!
Here’s a free printable version of my recipe if you’d like to give it a try!
- 1 cup quick grits, cooked according to package instructions (add cheese if desired)
- 1 lb. Jimmy Dean® Refrigerated Premium Pork Breakfast Sausage - crumbled and cooked
- 6 eggs, cooked and scrambled
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6-8 slices of bacon
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Chopped chives (optional)
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and black pepper into a wide and shallow bowl
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil - thoroughly spray with nonstick cooking spray
- Place a wire rack inside the baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray
- Remove bacon from package and press each side of each slice of bacon into brown sugar mixture, thoroughly coating each side
- Lay each slice of bacon onto the wire rack
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until bacon darkens well around the edges
- Quickly lift each slice of bacon off of the wire racks so that it doesn't stick and set on a plate - set aside
- While the bacon is cooking, prepare grits according to package instructions.
- Scramble Jimmy Dean® Refrigerated Premium Pork Breakfast Sausage in a skillet until done
- Drain most of the grease, leaving a small amount to scramble the eggs in
- Scramble eggs and set aside
- In small, oven safe glass jars, layer grits, shredded cheese, crumbled sausage, shredded cheese, scrambled eggs, more shredded cheese and top with chopped chives and a sliver of candied bacon
- Serve immediately
- (Glasses can be kept warm by sitting on a baking dish and resting in an oven on the lowest possible heat setting - but do not leave in too long as the glasses will get too hot to the touch)
During the hustle and bustle of this busy season, don’t forget to keep your family’s bellies filled during the most important meal of the day. The turkey and holiday ham can wait – breakfast always comes first! 😉
Next time you get the chance to swing by your local Publix (click here to find a store near you,) stock up on a few rolls of Jimmy Dean® Refrigerated Breakfast Sausage to make your family meals merry and bright!