I remember as a child celebrating Earth Day in school by studying its meaning, reading stories pertaining to Earth day, making a fun craft, and ultimately heading outside to plant a new tree or plant in the school garden. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve unfortunately strayed away from celebrating. Now that I have a little one watching my every move, I thought it’d be fun to start implementing the importance of our planet and how to take care of it through fun play and, of course, a little baking! 😉
Earth day falls on April 22nd every year, and I’ve already marked my calendar to make a batch of these really fun Earth Day sugar cookies to kick our day off on a sweet note!
I first stumbled across this idea from the rock star blogger Tammilee over at TammileeTips.com. Her super easy recipe inspired to give it a go and make a test batch for myself! You can make these cookies using your own favorite sugar cookie recipe if you’d like, but using a store bought sugar cookie mix is the quickest and easiest route, and they turn out pretty fantastic if I do say so myself! 😉
I purchased a package of regular sugar cookie mix and made the batter according to the package instructions. I then divided the dough in half and put them in two separate bowls. I used a few drops of blue and green food coloring to dye the dough until it reached the color that I wanted. I rolled the colored dough with my hands until the colors began to swirl, and then I formed the dough into a ball and baked the cookies according to the package instructions.
Once the cookies came out of the oven, I allowed them to cool on the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Here’s a free printable copy of the recipe/instructions if you’d like to give it a go!
Earth Day Sugar Cookies
- 1 Package sugar cookie mix + required ingredients listed on the package eggs, oil, etc.
- Blue and Green food coloring
- Preheat oven to proper temperature listed on cookie mix package
- Pour cookie mix into a bowl and blend in required ingredients using a hand mixer
- Divide the dough in half and transfer one portion into a separate bowl
- Add in a few drops of food coloring into each batch of dough and combine until colors are well blended
- Take a small amount of each colored dough and combine them until the colors are swirled.
- Form the dough into a ball and place on a greased cookie sheet and bake according to package instructions
- Allow to cool on pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling
Do you have any fun Earth day treats or activities that you like to participate in? Maybe you have your own sugar cookie recipe that would make this recipe out of this world? If so, share the love and comment below!