This is a sponsored post for SheSpeaks/Rubbermaid®
Growing up in the South, I’ve learned one quintessential piece of advice that has served me incredibly well over the years for just about any and every situation that has come my way:
When it doubt, make a pound cake.
Whether you’ve got a potluck event to attend, you’re in need of a sympathy dish to take to a family, or you’ve just got a hankerin’ for something sweet, you’ll never go wrong with making a pound cake.
And while it seems like there are a million and one ways to make a pound cake (cream cheese pound cake, sour cream pound cake, pumpkin spice pound cake, lemon pound cake, etc.) my absolute favorite way to make it is with fresh cranberries during the fall and winter seasons.
I always jump for joy when I see my local grocery store wheel out the first batch of cranberries of the year. Since they’re such a seasonal fruit, I always make sure to stock up on them when they’re on sale so I can enjoy the flavors to the fullest. I do a ton of baking around the holidays, and most of the time you’ll find a cranberry in the mix somewhere! To help me keep my cranberries fresher for longer periods of time, I store them in these Rubbermaid FreshWorks Produce Savers!
These containers are rocking my world right now for a few reasons. In addition to keeping my produce fresh, they’re also helping me reduce waste, save money and they’re so easy and convenient to use! The FreshWorks containers use a patented FreshVentTM technology to help keep produce fresher up to 80% longer* than standard produce packaging. The lid naturally regulates the flow of oxygen and CO2 in and out of the container, so produce stays nearly as fresh as the day it was picked! The CrispTrayTM at the bottom elevates produce away from moisture and promotes proper airflow to help reduce spoilage.
It’s always a sad day when you have to throw out your produce because you weren’t quick enough to use it all up before it spoiled. Now I worry far less about my cranberries going bad and am enjoying every single minute of devouring them…especially in this Cranberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake! 😉
I even whipped up this delicious cranberry syrup sauce to drizzle over it, and it is simply divine! This pound cake is so easy to make, and you can find all of the details in this free printable recipe card below!
Cranberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake + GIVEAWAY!
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 4 oz strawberry cream cheese spread
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- For Cranberry Sauce:
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Coat a 9x5 loaf pan thoroughly with butter
- In a large bowl and using a stand mixer, beat together cream cheese, butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs 1 at a time, beating thoroughly after each one
- Add in vanilla
- In a separate large bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder
- Fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture until it's completely mixed in and there are no pockets of dry flour.
- Gently fold in cranberries
- Pour batter into buttered loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- While the pound cake is baking, prepare the cranberry sauce by doing the following:
- In a large sauce pan, combine sugars, water and orange juice over medium/high heat until sugars are completely dissolved.
- Add in cranberries and pumpkin pie spice and cook until cranberries start to pop.
- Remove from heat - sauce will thicken as it sits
- Allow to completely cool before pouring over pound cake
I’ve always been a fan of rich pound cakes that lean on the more dense side than light and fluffy. The cream cheese in this recipe gives it the perfect texture, and the little bites of tartness that you get when your teeth sink into a cranberry baked inside makes for a perfect combination to even out the sweetness. You can even double the recipe and freeze a loaf to enjoy later, which is exactly what I’ll be doing later today!
Do you have a favorite recipe that uses fresh fall fruits or vegetables? How do you keep your produce staying fresher, longer? If you’re feeling lucky, check out this awesome giveaway going on right now to win your own Rubbermaid FreshWorks set so you can enjoy those fruits and vegetables all week long!
One VERY lucky Southern Made Simple reader is going to score their very own Rubbermaid FreshWorks set to keep their produce fresh longer! Simply enter using the giveaway widget below! Giveaway is open to US residents only and will end on 11/3/2017.
OPEN TO RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES 18 AND OLDER. LIMIT ONE ENTRANT PER HOUSEHOLD. GIVEAWAY WILL END AT 11:59PM CST ON 4/03/2017. WINNER WILL BE DRAWN USING GIVEAWAY TOOLS. ENTRIES WILL BE VERIFIED. WINNER WILL BE CONTACTED VIA EMAIL AND WILL HAVE 48 HOURS TO RESPOND BEFORE THE PRIZE IS FORFEITED AND A NEW WINNER IS SELECTED. SOUTHERN MADE SIMPLE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR PRIZE FULFILLMENT.
*Based on strawberries in FreshWorks™ containers vs. store packaging. Results may vary depending upon produce and use.