This recipe for Brown Sugar Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash brings all the flavors of Fall, and it’s a perfectly sweet option to serve as a side dish or even a dessert!
I know I’m jumping a season ahead with this recipe, but I promise I have good reason. It’s the end of July, the temperature feels like 110°F in the shade, and all I really want to do is dip my toes in the water down in the gulf. Unfortunately, ya know, COVID-19 kinda wrecks that whole freedom for my family. So I’ve been occupying my time with my garden since quarantine began back in March.
As I’ve mentioned a few times before, I went on a wild hair this spring and planted several butternut squash plants. Knowing butternut squash is a winter squash, I truthfully didn’t think the seeds would sprout, much less produce fruit. Fast forward to the present day and I have a bountiful butternut squash harvest sitting on my counter, and I couldn’t be more thrilled!
Needless to say, I’ve been cooking up quite a bit of butternut squash in my house lately. Last week I shared these Butternut Squash Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with you, and just a few nights ago I made spaghetti and meatballs using spiralized butternut squash as the noodles. It was absolutely delicious, but I still have a little but of tweaking to do on that recipe before it’s “blog worthy.” After I spiralized the butternut squash, I chopped up the end pieces that could not be spiralized and stored them in the fridge until inspiration struck.
One morning while sipping my coffee before the rest of the house woke up, I had a craving for something cinnamon-y. I reached for the leftover butternut squash pieces, tossed the in a little butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and popped them in the oven. Breakfast was served!
All the sweet and warm aromas of fall filled my kitchen as I took the roasted butternut squash out of the oven. This Brown Sugar Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash made a superb breakfast, but it’s definitely going on my family’s Thanksgiving menu this year as it would be a dynamite side dish to serve with turkey and dressing! I know we’re in the dog days of summer, and I’m not trying to rush the arrival of fall over here, but goodness it sure was nice to get just a small taste of my favorite season!
Here’s a free printable copy of the recipe if you’d like to give it a try:
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash
- 3 cups butternut squash - cubed
- 2 1/2 Tbs dark brown sugar - packed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 4 Tbs melted butter
- Peel skin off of each butternut squash and cut open lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, scoop out all seeds and set aside.
- Using a sturdy knife, carefully cube the butternut squash into roughly 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick pieces
- Heat oven to 425 F
- In a large bowl, melt butter and whisk in all remaining ingredients
- Toss in cubed butternut squash and stir until well coated
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray
- Pour butternut squash out onto pan and spread out thoroughly
- Bake for 30 minutes, making sure to stir contents around with a spatula to prevent scorching halfway through cook time
- Serve immediately
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out these other great recipes found right here on Southern Made Simple!