I HAVE BEEN COMPENSATED BY LUCK’S TO BRING YOU THIS DELICIOUS SPICY SOUTHERN-STYLE CORNBREAD SALAD, AND ALL OPINIONS EXPRESSED WITHIN THIS POST ARE 100% MY OWN. I ONLY PROMOTE WHAT I TRULY LOVE!
What seemed like a brief glimpse of glorious fall temperatures here in south Alabama last week has been completely diminished by these not-so-lovely 90+ degree temps this week. You know it’s hot outside when you break a sweat going out to your own mailbox! And even though we’re still experiencing wave after wave of this horrendous heat, I’m not letting it get me down. Instead, I’ve been feeling a little bit inspired to bring an extra element of heat into my cooking this week, and what better way to add a little spice into your life than by combining it with a twist on a true southern staple dish!
Cornbread is a quintessential element of true southern-style cuisine. Growing up here in the heart of Alabama, I’ve tasted many different versions of this golden fluffy delicacy, and I’ve liked just about all of them! Some people like it sweet, some people like it fried instead of baked, and some even like to spread a little butter over it and eat it as dessert! No matter how it’s made, you can never go wrong with serving a side of cornbread with any meal.
If you’re a fan of cornbread like me, you’d probably love it just about any ol’ way! One not-so-traditional way that I like to serve it is in my Southwestern Cornbread Salad, and it’s a sho’ nuf delicious way to pack a little south in your mouth!
One thing in particular that I really love about this dish is all of the fresh ingredients included in it. It’s not your traditional “leafy-green” salad, but rather layers of plump juicy tomatoes, freshly diced red and green bell peppers, fiesta-blend corn, perfectly pan-sizzled bacon and layers of hearty Luck’s Pinto Beans and Black Beans – all on top of a bed of your favorite style of cornbread!
Mmm. Isn’t that bacon just begging to be eaten? I might have had to sneak in a slice or two while I was putting together all of the ingredients. Fresh bacon crumbles are always a winner on top of any salad, but they can’t go on the salad if you’ve eaten it all! Needless to say, I had to display a great deal of restraint when assembling this salad! 😉
While the cornbread and the bacon are shining elements in this dish, the real MVP that gives this salad a true taste of home is Luck’s Pinto Beans and Black Beans. I always reach for Luck’s canned beans because of their culinary history rooted deep in the south. Luck’s knows exactly how great-tasting southern food should be made, and their authentic and distinct southern flavors top every other brand I’ve tried. Luck’s pinto beans are soaked and simmered in a creamy pork-seasoned sauce, giving it a true southern flair that you can’t find anywhere else!
Assembling this Southwestern Cornbread is as easy as 1-2-3! Just whip up a batch of your favorite cornbread, allow it to cool completely and crumble it in large chunks into the bottom of a
On top of my bed of corn bread, I piled on some shredded cheddar cheese, followed by a layer of salad dressing, Luck’s Black Beans, fiesta-style corn, Luck’s Pinto Beans, bacon crumbles, diced tomatoes, freshly chopped bell peppers and garnished with jalapeno slices, chopped green onions and a dollop of sour cream. This recipe is made to serve a large crowd and will serve roughly 15 people and is best served chilled. This makes for a perfect and simple pot-luck dish that any crowd is sure to love!
Are you ready to give this recipe a try? Here’s a free printable copy of the recipe for you to save!
Southwestern Corn Bread Salad
- 1 package of your favorite style cornbread mix
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 3 small tomatoes chopped
- 5-6 slices of thick cut bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 can fiesta style corn drained
- 1 can Luck's Pinto Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can Luck's Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeded and sliced
- 2-3 green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 cup sour cream
- I packet dry ranch seasoning mix
- Prepare corn bread according to package instructions, or use your own favorite family recipe!
- Allow bread to completely cool and then lightly crumble into the bottom of a trifle or salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine mayo, sour cream and ranch mix. Set aside.
- Sprinkle about 1 cup's worth of shredded cheddar cheese over the crumbled corn bread
- Spoon half of the salad dressing mixture over the shredded cheese.
- Layer the remaining ingredients in the following order: Black beans, corn, pinto beans, 1/2 of the bacon, tomatoes, green and red bell peppers, remaining salad dressing, and topped with additional bacon bits, green onions and jalapeno slices. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and serve!
Tried this recipe?
Tag me on Instagram: @SouthernMadeSimple or use the hashtag #SouthernMadeSimple and share your love of southern cuisine!
Next time you’re out and about doing a little grocery shopping, make sure you swing by the canned goods aisle and place a couple cans of Luck’s Beans or Luck’s Fruit into your buggy! While you’re at it, you can grab this sweet money saving coupon to make the deal even sweeter!
Click here for more recipe inspiration and ideas on how to use Luck’s Beans or Fruit in a scrumptious new recipe!
THIS IS A SPONSORED POST WRITTEN BY ME ON BEHALF OF LUCK’S.
Leave a Reply