There are so many simple holiday treats that bring back so many memories for me. Old fashioned corn flake candy is one of those fool-proof treats that makes me think of Christmas time, and I’ve always appreciated how simple it is – no baking required! I’ve been slowly growing a collection of easy and kid-friendly recipes that my 4 year old daughter can roll up her sleeves and help with in the kitchen, and I knew that a simple corn flake-type treat would be perfect! We took corn flake candy a step further and shaped it into these cute little Corn flake Christmas Wreaths, and they’ll be perfect to package up along with all of our many other holiday treats to share with friends and family this year!
My daughter recently discovered her love for rice krispie treats, so she was delighted when I told her that these were very similar. Her eyes lit up with absolute joy when I pulled out the bag of marshmallows! While the rolling out of these wreaths was super messy, I let her do a few and then put her on holly berry patrol. She loved sticking the red candies on each wreath, and she even swiped a wreath or two during the candy making process!
As a tip when making these corn flake candy wreaths, I recommend keeping a can of non-stick cooking spray nearby and spraying just a smidge in your hands before you start rolling out the candies. The marshmallow mixture is very sticky, and it can be hard to form these treats into balls if you don’t coat your hands. Just a dab will do!
Once you form the candies into balls, lightly pat them down and use your thumb to form a small circle in the middle. I used redhot cinnamon candies for the holly berries, and found that a small dot of food gel icing helped keep them in place. Here’s a free printable copy of the recipe for Corn Flake Christmas Wreaths if you’d like to give it a try!
Cornflake Christmas Wreaths
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 cups miniature marshmallows heaping
- 1 tsp green food coloring
- 5 1/2 cups corn flakes cereal
- 1 package red cinnamon candies
- Measure corn flakes into a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Once melted, add marshmallows and stir continuously until completely melted.
- Stir in food coloring.
- Pour melted marshmallows over corn flake candy and stir until well coated.
- Lay out a large piece of parchment paper on counter and dollop spoonfuls of corn flake mixture onto the parchment paper.
- Grease your hands with a smidge of non-stick cooking oil and use your fingers to roll and shape each mound into a wreath shape
- Top each wreath with cinnamon candy (use a dot of food gel to hold them in place if needed)
What holiday treats bring back memories for you? Are you a fan of classic old fashioned treats, or do you like to make something new each year? Leave a comment and share the love!