The leaves are falling on the ground here in my neck of the woods, and the temps are starting to cool off nicely in the afternoon. Cold weather is coming, y’all! I can feel it! It won’t be long and we’ll officially break out the jackets, boots and long sleeves and bask in all of Autumn’s glory. I. Can’t. Wait!
And with the coming cooler weather, it’s time to start breaking out the slow cooker and start dusting off those recipes for soups, stews and chili! Mmm, I could eat that sort of thing all year long! (I can’t even tell a lie, y’all. I DO eat it all year long!)
So with zero hesitation, I broke out my slow cooker and decided that we were definitely having some taco soup for supper. It’s such an easy meal to throw together, and it’s so delicious and soothing on a cold winter day! My family typically uses ground beef in their taco soup, but I like to use a little chicken in mine every now and then. It’s SO good!
Here’s a copy of my recipe for you to save. As far as the ingredients go, you can get as creative as you like! We love to use chick peas in addition to chili or kidney beans from time to time because of their amazing health benefits, but feel free to use whatever sort of bean that you like!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can of corn, drained
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans
- 1 15 oz can of chick peas (or your other favorite bean) - drained
- 2 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion - diced
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- Optional taco soup toppings: Tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro etc
- Combine all ingredients (except taco soup toppings) in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- With 30 minutes cook time left remaining, remove chicken breasts and shred with a fork. Return to slow cooker and let simmer.
- Serve with your favorite toppings
Another great thing about this dish is that it freezes really well. If you have a good bit of leftovers, store it in a freezable container and just pull it out and thaw the next time you’re ready for it!
Do you have any other yummy soup or stew recipes that you love to eat during this time of year? I’m always on the hunt for a new soup to try! Leave a comment and share the love!