My house is currently bubbling over with excitement as we countdown the days until the official kickoff of our football team’s season! (It’s only 9 days away, in case you were wondering!) It’s no secret that football season is HUGE here in the south, and while my family’s love for the game is pretty darn big, their love for the game day spread is even BIGGER!
Our love connection with southern-style foods is in a league of it’s own, but sometimes we like to take our taste buds even further down south to enjoy some of the most delicious seasonings, spices and “street food” delicacies that hail all the way from south of the boarder! When we’re watching football on the big screen at home, we like to pile up our plates with hearty appetizers and sides that need no utensils – just a big appetite and a set of hands to hold all of the game time goodness! Our most recent food obsession is my Spicy Grilled Mexican Street Corn, and it’s smothered and covered in spicy and creamy yumminess that is sure to score some pretty big points with any crowd!
Any recipe that calls for crisp, garden fresh veggies is definitely a winner in my book. We’re very fortunate to have grandparents that plant a large garden full of corn every year, and it’s always ready to be picked and shucked towards the end of summer! For this recipe, we used a sweeter-style corn because that’s what we have available, but I feel that any type of corn on the cob would do!
I made sure to make a pit stop by our local Walmart to grab the remaining ingredients for the street corn and to stock our kitchen with a few of our favorite snacks and drinks to enjoy while watching the game. Walmart makes is super easy to stock up on everything we need for game day at the house, and I was pumped to see this awesome deal on Coca-Cola® 24 packs to help take our spread to the next level!
If your local Walmart has grocery pickup available, you can totally skip going in store and have your groceries delivered right to your car! It’s such a huge time saver when life gets busy. All you have to do is place your order on the app or online and drive to the pick-up spot to get your groceries! Standard pickup is always free, too!
Ever since I can remember, Coca Cola® has been a part of our game day experience, be it watching the game at home, tailgating with friends and family or getting to sit in a packed stadium with thousands of other fans. It brings a sense of nostalgia that I absolutely love, and it couldn’t be a more perfect pairing with game day food!
Once I arrived home with all of our goods, my husband fired up the grill and cracked open a Coca-Cola® over ice to enjoy while he performed his culinary magic. There’s just something so darn delicious about fresh grilled veggies, and those grill marks on those golden ears of corn gives me all the heart-eyes! I also cut up an onion to throw on the grill for a few minutes to give the corn a little somethin’ extra. Mmm mmm good!
While the corn was cooking on the grill, I stepped inside and whipped up a little winning concoction to spread over the corn to give it an extra depth of flavor and goodness (see full recipe below.) Depending on how spicy you like your foods, you can add as much or as little chili powder, cayenne pepper and jalapeno peppers as you like. Personally, I like to pack on the heat before I take that first bite!
Here’s a free printable version of the recipe if you’d like to give it a try!
- 5-6 ears of corn, shucked and silked
- ¼ cup real mayonnaise (don't skimp on the quality with this ingredient - get the real stuff!)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- ½ tsp spicy Mexican Chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp freshly minced garlic
- 1 Tbs fresh or pickled finely diced jalapenos (optional, but brings a nice heat)
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro + extra for garnish
- 1 red onion, grilled and diced
- 1 small lime - cut into wedges
- Preheat grill to high heat
- Once grill reaches temperature, place ears of corn directly onto grill and cook for roughly 8 minutes, making sure to rotate corn throughout cook time to cook evenly and to get those nice grill marks.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, seasonings, jalapenos, garlic, cilantro and feta cheese
- When the corn is finished cooking, spread a thick layer of the cheese mixture onto each ear of corn and top with extra cilantro, chili powder, grilled onions and extra crumbled feta to taste. Squeeze a lime wedge over each piece before eating.
Are you gearing up for the kickoff of football season this coming week? What are some of your favorite game day recipes or snacks you like to chow down on? Before that first whistle blows, make sure you stock up on Coca-Cola® and Coke® Zero Sugar 24 packs from Walmart (the ultimate hub of sport entertaining) to pair with this recipe and all of your favorite foods on game day!
Looking for more Fall Football homegating and tailgating inspiration and recipes? Click here and get in the game with these touchdown worthy ideas!