I have been compensated by DairyPure to bring you this recipe for 5 Ingredient Creamy Potato Soup. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.
Anyone else already starting to feel a little bit exhausted from all of the holiday hustle and bustle already? My calendar is packed pretty full of parties and events that celebrate the season. I’m excited about all of them, because I love seeing the joy and excitement on all of my friend’s and family’s faces, but I’ve definitely been battling my inner introvert that wants me to just go put on a pair of fuzzy socks and curl up on the couch at home with a big bowl of soup.
I do a ton of cooking and baking during this time of year. Cooking in the kitchen is truly my happy place, and I love all of the fun and festive recipes that are circulating around during the holidays. However, sometimes you just want to sick to the basics and pull out your favorite comfort food to help keep your spirits merry and bright.
For me, my 5 ingredient creamy potato soup in a bread bowl is the highlight of these colder months, and it’s perfect for serving a crowd or enjoying by yourself!
I’ve often found that some of the best recipes call for the fewest ingredients. It’s good not to over-complicate things sometimes, and this potato soup recipe is quick, easy, and oh-so delicious!
To make this soup, you’ll need full flavored chicken broth, frozen shredded hash browns, DairyPure Heavy Cream, shredded cheddar cheese and a sour dough demi loaf or other sturdy bread that can be used as a bread bowl.
During the holiday season, I always keep creams and milk stocked in my refrigerator. I use heavy cream in so many dessert recipes, and here lately I’ve been adding it to more and more savory dishes. I love to use DairyPure Heavy Cream because it’s the only farm-to-fridge brand backed by the exclusive Five-Point Purity Promise, meaning it contains no artificial growth hormones, is tested for antibiotics, is continually quality tested to ensure purity, it only comes from cows that are fed a healthy diet, and is cold-shipped from trusted dairy providers. It’s also sourced locally, making is great for the economy and great for you!
DairyPure is also a big inspiration behind me embracing the simple things during this busy time of year. It’s good to take a little break every now and then from the busyness of the season. Preparing a simple and delicious meal with family is a great way to spend less time in the kitchen and more time making memories with family, and that is something I’m truly grateful for!
Here’s a free printable copy of the recipe if you’d like to save it and give it a try!
- 4½ cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 1½ cup DairyPure Heavy Cream
- 2½ cups chicken broth (don't use low sodium)
- 1½ cup shredded cheese + more for topping
- 4 medium sour dough demi loaves or pre-cut bread bowls from bakery
- In a large pot, bring chicken broth to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat, add in hash browns
- Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until potatoes are nice and tender
- Remove from heat
- Using a potato masher, thoroughly mash up the hash browns to create a creamier texture. If you like your potato soup perfectly creamy, pour soup mixture into a blender and blend well. Otherwise, the small chunks of hash brown pieces give it a nice texture.
- Stir in DairyPure Heavy Cream and ½ of the shredded cheese
- Cut a hole in the top of each loaf and pour soup into the bread bowl. Top with additional cheese
- You can season with salt and pepper to taste, but I've found that using full-flavored chicken broth eliminates the need for adding salt
- You can also add additional toppings to your potato soup, such as bacon bits, crackers, dried chives, etc.
If you’re ready for a slow-down, or if you just want to get back to the basics and embrace the simplicity of things, slip on those fuzzy socks and settle down with a bread bowl full of this creamy and delicious potato soup made with DairyPure Heavy Cream! You can also scoop up even more holiday meal inspiration by visiting DairyPureSimpleHolidays.com!